Wednesday, May 6, 2009

South African Rose?

I worked a full day today and felt that I deserved a treat...I often do that. but to be fair, I also had a dinner plan in mind for my wife and I had an inkling of what to drink with it. In the end, my sense of "treat" and the feel of a summer day in the air led me to the cooler case in the wine room and I grabbed Juno Rose. Now, I'm not a big fan of rose, and I'm willing to bet you aren't either. Rose evokes bad wine advertisements from the seventies, bad porch parties with rebel ladies holding a pink wine glass and a Virginia Slim...."You've come a long way, baby!"
But truth be told, its Rose that's come a long way. There are many more options of rose to be sampled and some of them carry delicious notes of fruit and a touch of complexity that just add to the fun of drinking a chilled wine that almost goes down like Kool - Aid.
Kool - Aid was what I was craving, something refreshing and drinkable and not to complex, just fun. The Juno rose is actually made from the pinotage grape, that funky indigeonous grape of South Africa. If I explained pinotage to you it would take the entire post and it would leave you unsure about ever tasting it...it's just an acquired taste that I don't care for. But as a Rose? it's amazing! No soft watermelon strawberry wine here, this rose has character, a little dry, tart berry flavors and oh-so-easy to drink.
And did I say it's only 10 bucks?
Oh yeah, about dinner. I whipped up some crepes and added herbs to the batter. Made the crepes and rolled them with a duxelle paste, chicken and spinach. Topped those babies with alfredo sauce and served them with broccoli. The crepes were to die for, and the rose floated along for the ride, providing a light dry wash. It really got lost in all that flavor, so I really didn't do a good job pairing wine with the food, but that's what this neverending wine adventure is all about. Sometimes I miss, but I promise I will write about it all the same.
I am going to make this meal again, if anything, just to smell the duxelle cooking on the stove, and I will serve a full bodied French Chardonnay, like a Burgundy.
...but I will start the meal by serving the Juno rose to get the party started.:)

No comments: