Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Celeste

Last night I revisted an old aquaintance: Celeste from Torres. A red wine from the region of Ribera del Duero, Celeste is a standout in the Spanish section of Foodstop with its silver and blue label featuring a celestial (!) map of the Little Dipper constellation. This wine has a lot going for it, and it should at 25.00 a pop. But I have an affinity for Spanish Wine so my palette is open to all comers.
Celeste is earthy, with a hint of dark berry to the nose, but you really have to search for it. I had the sensation of smelling berries mixed with earth in my hands, and that was not unpleasant. The taste is long and satisfying. The best I could describe it is heavy on wood and toast with a creamy vanilla finish. This wine would, as all good Spanish wines would, rise to the occaision with roast lamb or pork, but would also do well with a beef stew or pot roast.
....and it was pretty damn good by itself last night.

No comments: