Thursday, April 23, 2009

...Like chilled butterscotch

Tonight, my wife and I shared a bottle of Rutherford Ranch Chardonnay with dinner and the result was better than the day I sampled this Napa chard at the Nappi Distributors wine show. Dinner was a simple, flavorful affair of broiled scallops, lightly seasoned and swimming in fresh lemon and butter. Add a side of steamed brocolli and cauliflower along with some rice pilaf and you have a healthy, tasty dinner. The Rutherford Chardonnay simply tipped the scales. Like most of us, I served the Chardonnay straight from the fridge, overchilled, but I gotta tell ya, with this wine it was dynamite. From start to finish, this wine attacked my taste buds and its oaken background created a creamy mouthful that combined with the sweet fruit to create the sensation of chilled butterscotch. And all of that flavor for only 12.99??? This wine is a steal and it paired so well with dinner. My wife approved of its taste so well that she poured a second glass ( a rare occurence and surely a sign of its value!!!)
Truth be told, Rhonda had discovered this bottle at the Nappi show and was anxious to show it off to Lynne and myself. I had to concur with her gut instinct that this was a special wine regardless of the price...but the pricepoint was a nice feature. It was nice to be able to put it to the dinner test a few weeks later and confirm what our taste buds had told us back then...this wine is awesome.
You would have to spend 25.00 or more to get more out of wine than this!

No comments: